Here is what we know about May C Munson:
- She painted an oil painting in 1902 of the Skibby,
Denmark, home of Rasmus Hansen for Theodore M. S. Hansen, resident of
Waterbury, as a gift for his parents Anton Mathias Hansen & Mariane
Christine Hansen. Mariane was born in the house.
- She painted an oil painting in 1906 of the same house for Nikoline
Olivia Hansen Petersen (or for her daughter Elna), resident of Waterbury,
who was also born in the Skibby house.
- she signed both paintings "May C Munson"
- She painted a watercolor in 1900 that was auctioned in 2018 on ebth.com
The signature looks the same as the one on the 1906 painting in our family.
You can see it at
- She painted a water scene that is also in the family. I don't know whether it is a watercolor or an oil.
- Olivia's granddaughter Ramona Madison Bendell (now deceased) said in
1994 that she thought May Munson roomed with someone in the family on
West Main St. or Bishop St. She referred to Munson as "Miss May
Munson." Ramona was about 80 years old at the time of this conversation, so I don't take the details of something that occurred before her birth in 1914 as necessarily accurate. (She would have heard this information from her mother, Elna.) Olivia Hansen and her husband Niels Peter Petersen lived at
716 West Main Street in Waterbury in 1900-1901, 48 Manhan St. 1902-1904,
and after he died in 1905, Olivia lived at 19 Willow St until 1910.
Two images of the 1906 painting are attached. One shows the overall painting; the other is a close-up of the signature. I'm hoping somebody recognizes the name. Any clues are welcome!
A Connecticut transplant in Kensington, Maryland